Sunday, November 30, 2008

The initial scary verdict: Surgery!

OK, so it wasn't until 2004/2005 that I finally decided it was time to do something about it. I was tired of being ashamed of my smile (everybody has the right to smile right, pun intended). Besides, by then my kiwer front teeth were already worn out (at the top) nearly to the core.

The two upper front teeth had spread wider apart as well as sideways. causing them to wear out (really!) unevenly to the point they started looking more like an incipient triangle rather than having a squarish shape. I did not want to become a vampire, or even less stab my lower lips!

Some molars where also a bit worn out. Add to that the greater possibilities for cavities and I HATE visiting the dentist unless it is for cleaning and absolutely necessary work. Mainly due to "extreme angst" created by a bad dentist I had in The Netherlands that did a root canal on my with little anesthetic. So, how do you undergo orthodontic treatment with an extreme angst for the dentist? hum, you tell me but the neither prospect was good.

So, I found an orthodontist here in NL, he took digital photos, made XRays of my whole mouth and a 360 degree craneal scan, made a model of my mouth (out of some sort of plastic) and handed me an account for nearly €500 !!!

The day finally came when I had to visit my orthodontist for the veredict. I was happy with sufficient functional improvement as I was not looking for a mouth overhaul.

He and his colleague showed me the model, the photos, etc. and explained to me I needed orthognathic surgery. Ortho what? yeah that! in layman's language he told me they needed to saw off my lower jaw because it had not grown sufficiently. That it was the only way to have any improvement. It was all or nothing.

I started doing some research about orthognathic surgery because I was supposed to go to an informational evening at the hospital where they did this kind of surgery. Well, after spending all that money I chickened out and did not show up.

No comments: