Sunday, November 30, 2008

One week after

It has been a week of patience and trials... I was trying to hide my new add-ons from my colleagues but let's face it, such thing you can't hide no matter how self conscious you are. My trip had a different purpose but well, if I was there why not go for a 2nd opinion where they have excellent medical care? After all in February 2007 I had done my LASIK eye surgery in Medellín, Colombia as well.

My lips are toughened up against the wires and brackets so that is not painful anymore. I feel my teeth moving every day, new spaces being developed, some closing. Chewing is no longer a painful experience.

However, eating remains a challenge. Due to the crown thing I was advised to chew on the other side so I can only hope that molar holds on to all that stress (it has a big filling). No more sandwiches (good bye Burger King and Kentucky's Friend Chicken!), no more platanitos (delicious snack made of plaintain), no more hard cookies, no more chewing gum. Basically I am down to reengineering what I eat, nowadays mostly soft food and use fork and knife to cut down the sandwiches to manageable pieces I can place on my mouth in the right place.

Good thing about braces is you tend to stop eating junk food and bad snacks such as sugary chocolates! simply because the last thing you want is a cavity or have to run to the toilet to clean your hardware yet again. I have made it a point to clean up the hardware after lunch, then just drink tea, eat (soft) dinner and do the floss-brush-mouthwash ritual before going to bed so that everything looks and remains clean. Ah, nothing like the feeling of clean hardware on your mouth LOL. It is only beaten by the feeling of a mouth without hardware add-ons!.

I have already lost nearly 4 kilos already, I hope this trend does not continue as I have to get strong for the surgery one year from now.

As if that was not enough I am freaking out about the prospects of having this surgery! I normally sleep on my side or belly down which is a definite no-no after such surgery. I don't have a special bed where I can sleep in a propped-up position.

See: Jaw Surgery Pre/Post-op care

No comments: