Friday, January 9, 2009

New wire and remove stitches!

Tomorrow I am heading back to my home country so my follow up was scheduled for today.

At 17:00 we had the appointment with the periodontist and orthodontist. They examined my mouth and were happy that the skin graft had held well and that the tissues have been scaring properly. The diastema has been closed 100% for the first time in around 10+ years I had no gap on my front teeth!

The orthodontist removed the rubber that was forcing the two upper teeth towards each other. We were all happy the gap had been closed, because the graft well it meant the fraenum would not grow back. However, they could see that it was already trying to grow there but thanks to the graft it could not grow further. Then he removed the wire that ran through all the brackets of the upper teeth. This removal involved opening the Damon brackets, something was was very painful on some teeth. My God, to imagine I have to go through some more of these wire changes!

The periodontist did a full clean up and it was easier on the upper teeth because the wire wasn´t there for now. Unfortunately I kept on using the medicated mouth wash a bit too long on two ocassions which caused the teeth to be stained :( I will have to wait for the whitening when my orthodontic treatment is over. Some of the cleaning was painful because there was no anesthetic applied and doing that with brackets installed is quite a shore that makes the instruments of torture come very close to the gums. I am a chicken for these things remember, specially when there is more pain than my threshold, my legs where trembling like mad and I had a hard time controlling them. I was relieved when this part of the procedure was done. Pfew! I can breathe!

The plastic-like paste that was covering the open wound on my gum where the graft was taken was removed. The stitches from there too but that was not very painful. Normally they would have removed them some days later but I was leaving tomorrow so no other option. Luckily it had held well and healing well too.

The stitches that held the graft over where the labial fraenum was were removed. How many I don´t know but some where hard to remove because the fraenum was trying to grow back and thus making removal more difficult. This was a VERY painful part where I sweat a lot and suffered but the only alternative was to apply an injection (anesthetic) to the gums and that I judged was going to be probably more painful. I had to hold myself together. When it was over I was GLAD.

Then the easiest part that did not cause much pain or distress. The new thicker wire was installed across the brackets of my upper teeth to align them further. This new one can hold up to a year but I will keep it for 6 months until my next appointment in June.

The diastema being closed and the lower molar aligning further into place it is expected that in June I will have a lot of progress and be ready for the two extractions :(

The next few days were the usual nightmare. An open wound on my palate that still needs to heal further makes eating a challenge, I can chew on the side of my two crowns so I have to be careful. I have been eating very soft things such as creamy soup, bread and the like. In addition to that thanks to the new wire adjustment my teeth and molars are on the move again and thus every bite is not only a challenge but also very very painful making eating something unpleasant. Naturally I did not enjoy the food on the plane nor any food for the coming days. I took pain medication only for a day (Dolex and Apronax which is based on Naproxeno).

No comments: